Monday, January 25, 2010

Name

We all compare ourselves to others. We spend our lives wondering what others think and say about us. Some of us even wish we were someone else. We question why we are the way we are and not the way we wish we could be. Some of us have let the expectations of others dictate who we've become. We act a certain way to be accepted but know that we're being untrue. But why are we concerned with what others people think, say, or look like? What does it say about us if we are unable to accept who we are? Maybe if we really knew our true selves, we wouldn't give so much attention to other people's lives and live more in tune with the life God wants for us...
That opening paragraph was not written by me, it is the blurb on the back of a DVD by Rob Bell. An 11 minute DVD called 'Name' that made me think so much, that spoke so much to me, made me question, made me realise that I am me, I am who I choose to be, I can choose to try live up to everyone else's standards and be miserable or I can choose to accept I am who I am and live a purposeful life.
I will still struggle. I still have so many questions with answers yet to find. I am learning to be content with who I am and be grateful. But really how many of us live life trying to be someone we aren't and being so miserable in the meantime....
We are all so unique, how boring would life really be if we were all the same, same personalities, interests, looks...the list could go on and on...I don't have much more to say because I still have so many questions myself, but maybe just think about some of the statements and questions in the paragraph...

1 comment:

manda said...

I love you just the way you are!!