Sunday, September 26, 2010

Storing up treasures..

How much stuff do you have? what possessions do you treasure? Do you have things that hold special meaning of loved ones?
So many questions for you...but seriously look around you, are you in your bedroom? loungeroom? kitchen? what things do you see when you look around?
I'm sitting at my mums dining table and around me I see many things photos, treasured china, craft supplies, candles, pottery. So many things that she treasures and has collected in her lifetime. I see pieces that remind me of when we lived in Tasmania, and a money box that was my mum's granddads.
I work in an opshop, and everyday we get plenty of donations, peoples belongings that they do not want in their life anymore. Lately we have had a few people dropping donations in that have belonged to a parent who has passed away, or they have moved into a nursing home..it's really made me think. Over our lifetimes we collect treasures that hold dear memories for us, but what happens when we leave this world? Do others treasure it as much as we do, or do they get rid of it all with not even a second thought of how much it meant to the owner. Do loved ones purely get rid of these belongings because they don't know the value in memories that each item may hold.
What will happen to my beloved possessions that hold so many memories? Is there any point in having such things?
I believe that we need these things in our life, around my own house I have treasures which have special memories attached to them, I also have treasures that have no meaning I just like them. As much as I believe that we should have these things in our life, I also believe that it is important not to put our whole emphasis on material things. At the end of our time, people will clear out our treasures, they may hold onto some that means something to them, but what they will hold onto most is the time that we have spent with them to create memories.
Matthew 6: 19-21“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

No comments: