Friday, July 30, 2010

Supporting those less fortunate than ourselves....

To tithe means to take a tenth part of agricultural or other produce, personal income, or profits, contributed either voluntarily or as a tax for the support of the church or clergy or for charitable purposes.

I’ve never really thought much about the word ‘tithe’ before, sure in Church I hear it and sure I give money to support the Church in the work they do, but to actually tithe, take a tenth of what I earn and give it to the Church…that’s the challenge.

My hubby and I regularly give a generous sum of money to the Church. God has seriously blessed us with many things. We have a roof over our heads, we both have a car, we have food to eat, we are warm, the list goes on…we really do not want for anything. That money we give comes out of our regular pay packets. But what has got me thinking is the thought that God has blessed me in being creative, through which I also earn money from. I have never really ever stopped to think that this is an income, and that I should possibly be giving back a tenth to God.

For me giving money to God, means giving money to the Church that I am committed to, it means that the Church has money to help the poor, feed the needy, reach those who are less fortunate than myself.

Last Sunday in Church as our Pastor was speaking my mind was wandering, as it does often...They say one thing and off it goes thinking about it, pulling it to bits, trying to make it relevant to my life. I don't think this is a bad thing, I think it's good to take it in. I'm a visual person. I don't really take in a huge amount of words, I need less talk and more action, pictures, props etc. So to listen to a 20 minute message, I struggle!!

I was thinking about my BellaRae items. BellaRae, makes us some extra money on the side. Sure I would love for it to become more than an ‘on the side, spare time job’ but for now I make the most of the time I do have to get creative.

But as it is bringing in an ‘income’ I have decided that from now on will be taking a tenth from all BellaRae sales to go to buy 'gifts' through The Salvation Army's Just Gifts. Reading through some of the 'gifts' on there really opens up my eyes to how fortunate we are, and some of the gifts start from as little as $5.00.

I look forward to being able to report to you on BellaRae's first gift purchased.

No comments: